And there we have it. Another year done and dusted and one for the history books! It’s been another intense and turbulent year as we navigated the aftermath of the 2020 pandemic, both in our work lives and at home.
You might be feeling tired, exhausted, running on adrenaline and caffeine, energetic for the last full work week or even excited! We’re all feeling a complex mix of emotions as we continue to power through for the last few days before a much-needed and well-deserved break.
As a team, we’ve really pulled together this year. As we all worked from home for a good portion of the year, our communication increased tenfold, our check-ins were daily and we all supported each other on those off days. 2021 was different than 2020. This was the year our resilience was truly put to the test.
This year has also been a significant turning point for companies and organisations around the world, as we begin to understand and respond to what individuals need from their workplace. Whether it was a flexible work schedule or more wellbeing initiatives, each organisation has been adapting to our new ways of working.
So, to wrap up the year, we are sharing our teams’ top recommendations for the things that kept them motivated and energised, but what also got them through those long lockdown days. Here we go!
Our favourite books:
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- Phosphorescence – On Awe, Wonder And Things That Sustain You When The World Goes Dark by Julia Baird
- Bridget’s Healthy Kitchen by Bridget Davis
- A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
- The Bible
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Pachinko by Min Jim Lee
- Legacy by James Kerr
The mantras that kept us going:
- Energy flows where attention goes
- The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they make the best of everything
- Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.
- It’s not happy people who are thankful, it is thankful people who are happy
Your mind is a magnet, you attract what you think
- I’m doing the best I can do with the resources and knowledge I have right now!
- Persist and make a difference everyday
We were most grateful for:
- The support the team has shown each other through our busiest year ever whilst also dealing with COVID
- The unbelievable care we receive from our clients. We receive as much support and learning from them as they do from us. So grateful.
- Being able to travel and catch up with my family in Melbourne
- For the health and wellbeing of family and friends this year, and always
The activities that kept us energised:
- Early morning gym
- Rowing as the sun rises with a crew of amazing women.
- Sitting on the couch with my man (sometimes) and my dog (all the time) watching TV (yes my dog watches TV too)
- Sailing on Pittwater with just the sound of the wind moving us, mooring up and Stand-Up paddle boarding around some hidden bays
- Walking the local fire trails and connecting with nature
- Time at the beach with the family
- Exploring the local area with the family and discovering new bushwalks with the family
- Shopping (does that count?)
- Jumping into the ocean off the slab at Clovelly, it’s like swimming in an aquarium!
Our favourite TV shows and movies to watch:
- Ted Lasso
- The Sopranos
- Dumb & Dumber
- Line of Duty
- Something’s Gotta Give
- The Chosen
- The Man from UNCLE
The podcasts we couldn’t get enough of:
- No Filter by Mamamia
- Tony Robbins
- Les Brown
- The Imperfects
- This working life hosted by Linda Leon
The foods we cooked (and ate!):
- Spaghetti Bolognaise
- Plant based stir fry Bolognese
- Bahn Xeo
- My Babcia’s (grandma’s) chicken rissoles
- Butter Chicken
- Rhubarb and Rosemary Cake
The drinks we enjoyed:
- Passionfruit Margarita
- Espresso Martini
- G&T with fresh mint leaves and diced cucumber – yum!
- Whiskey Sour
There we go! The Corporate Edge team’s 2021 wrapped!
We hope you had a fabulous year, even if it was tough at times, but have learnt how to see the good in every situation and be grateful for the learning opportunity.
We will be closing the office over the Christmas and New Year break, from December 22nd 2021 to January 9th2022.
We wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
The Corporate Edge team